Thursday, January 21, 2010

Treading Water

I think this kid is getting used to having space to stretch out.
It seems he got his dad's and Uncle Craig's long skinny legs!

This past weekend we went to Baton Rouge for a Mexican fiesta celebrating Josh's birthday. Calyn was a little tired and I felt like I wasn't able to socialize because of the kids, but I guess that's my new life right?

Three babies getting a drink.
Calyn is a multi-tasker.

Today was so beautiful that we headed to the zoo. It was actually really fun and relaxing. The stressful part came after the zoo when we tried to have lunch with Aaron. Let's just say both kids (and their mommy) were tired.

Last week I felt like I was drowning. Now, I'm just treading water. Hopefully soon I'll be swimming and actually getting somewhere. The one to two kid transition has been a little rough. The problem is still the first one. I guess because she's still the unknown factor in this child-rearing equation. I know what to expect from Logan. She's been nice to him, but acting up in all other aspects. Not listening, telling me "no", throwing tantrums over bath time and brushing her teeth, etc. It's been rough on her not being the center of our attention anymore. Then poor Logan is getting dumped in the swing or his bed anytime he's happy because I've got other things to do. Just not enough time, arms, hands, and patience to go around. Blah. But, things are getting better so I'm hopeful. Uninterrupted sleep might help too. I'm not really sleeping less hours than before, but it's broken up sleep so it's not as restful. Last night I fed Logan a bottle of water instead of his milk. Maybe I should start turning on the light.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I know exactly how you feel. In case you were planning to have a third, this transition has been a little easier. Kailey and Eli are acting up, tantrums,yelling "no", all that kind of stuff, but I knew it was coming this time and was more mentally and emotionally prepared this time.

When I had Eli, and Kailey started acting out, I really missed the sweet cooperative Kailey. It just took time for both of us to adjust to the change, and we did.

That Logan is one cute long-legged baby. He has really been growing.

Things will get better and easier I promise. Then one day it will be so easy and normal that you forget what it was like before you had Logan.

Jordan said...

You're too hard on yourself. Things always seem to look brighter once sleep returns, doesn't it? At least your kids are freakin' cute!

PS The "other" children are always the problem when a new one comes in my experience. Especially the oldest. They are taking you through the virgin trenches of motherhood--the burden of the first child.

Sending "breast stroke" vibes your way.

The Original Mangums said...

It's hard, but so worth it. Hang in there, it's getting better and will only get better every day. What cute grandchildren we have!

Lexi said...

I feel you. The tantrums and the yelling are the worst. But they really do get better. Not overnight, and never completely 'over, never to return again' but you either get used to it or you don't notice it as much as time goes on.

Remember how we used to laugh about the stages Calyn and Peyton were going through as babies? Some of those stages were harder than others but it was always a time thing. Just count this as another stage that Calyn is going through.

And like you said on your newest post, sometimes you just need to vent. It's not all bad (like you said) but sometimes it's hard and it's tiring and you just need to let it out so you can move on. I know you guys have happy times too, so because of that, I wasn't worried when you vented on your blog (actually it's healthy!)

Those first few weeks are killer though with the lack of sleep and the whiney toddler and the trying to get stuff done.

Hang in there friend. This stage will be over soon, you wait and see. Love you!

Oh, and I think this plays into my theory that the second child is easier BECAUSE they know that you're still dealing with the first one. Then again, there is Stephanie... Just kidding! :-)

P.S. I don't know how you feel about this, but maybe if you just need some you time (with Logan) you could look into a Mother's Day Out program or something for Calyn so you have a few hours a day or two a week to sleep, run errands or just relax without her in tow (as much as I know you love her). It's not a full time thing so she'd still be home a majority of the time but it would give you a much needed break.

Jordan Carroll said...

I don't know what you're going through just yet, but in a few weeks I'll be right there with ya. Hang in there! Brady had HORRIBLE colic for 7 1/2 months...and when I say horrible, I mean the kind where he literally screamed from 9 AM to 10 PM and then didn't sleep through the night. After Buck left for Iraq, when he was just 10 weeks old, I remember thinking that I just couldn't take another day and that it would never end...but it did. And this will too! Eventually, Calyn will get over herself and come to love having that precious little boy around and be a big helper to her mommy. Until that day, vent all you need to. You gotta let it all out to keep it all together!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen give yourself and everybody else time to adjust ,you know I felt that way when I had Rachel,one child is an easy take along,we can respond with out much effort or thought,Now it takes some planning because now your not just giving of your schedule your giving of Calyns ,Logans,Yours,Aarons and it takes awhile to fit it all in. If it makes you feel any better when you have the third one ,its like just having Calyn again not much sweat,at least it was with me .Love ya love Aunt Shelly.

Vargas Clan said...

Man your little guy has some looooong legs!! your kids are so cute!! Hang in there, I want to say it gets easier but it does not BUT you will learn how to cope with it all and that makes it easier. Keep up the good work, you are an awesome mommy!!

Vargas Clan said...

ALSO!!! Cleaning can always wait, the babies will not...they just keep growing!! Thats what I had to learn. playing with the kids is much more fun any ways huh!!