Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blissful Ignorance

Calyn and her "water popsicle"
(how do you like the Ipod cord wrapped around her neck...safe huh?)

Oh, to be a year and a half old. There's no trace of worry or concern on her face. That's my job. Calyn could care less about something called "Gustav" potentially coming our way. She does know that no matter what happens, her needs will be met and she'll be taken care of. As I make preparations for whatever may happen, I find myself getting a little scared. Not that I fear for the lives of my family, but I fear the uncertainty of our futures. Naturally, the memories from Katrina are flooding my mind. Aaron being relocated--school being postponed (in his final year this time as opposed to his first year). We live on the second floor, so flooding is not a concern. But roof damage and the resulting water damage does worry me. Not that I wouldn't mind selling all our stuff and buying new furniture/TV, etc--but, I'd like to have the control of saying goodbye, rather than having it taken from me. We have water, a three day food supply, radio, flashlight, candles, batteries, full tanks of gas and an evacuation plan...but I'd rather Gustav would just disappear into oblivion. I guess this post is more for me than you. I started feeling a little panicky and this was all could do to vent. I feel better now...thanks Blog.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

good luck. all you guys down there are in our prayers...and if you need to evacuate this far north, come on over. we'll have the game on saturday, so things should be great.
oh, and while we don't have a "guest bedroom" per say, we have a 1/2 set up nursery and a well stocked toy room that will work great!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the comment... LOL.
I hear you; I still feel the nervousness, and I am 2000 miles away. We just can't shake the Kartina feelings, can we.

If you guys need a place to stay, if worst comes to worst, we have extra rooms and beds at our place.
Or anyone else who needs too, our home is open to Gustav Evacuee's.

Becky T said...

Oh boy, I totally hear you. And I don't have the memories of Katrina, just all the horror stories from everyone else to go on. :) I try to just live our normal daily life, but I find myself racking my brain about what I need to get together if we do have to take off... Fun, huh? Hopefully nothing will come of this and we'll all just live happily ever after! :)

Lexi said...

Ditto that.

Stacy Hutchinson said...

I've been freaking out a little too. Today my mind was racing: Do we need to board up our windows? We need to fill up our gas jugs. Josh went with Jimbo today and bought 50 gallon drums from the coca-cola plant. We'll have plenty of water. I'm just scared of all of the chaos we had before. The lines at the gas stations, no food at the grocery stores, no use of cell phones, blah, blah, blah. It was NOT a pleasant experience, even though we never did without electricity. I remember everyone buying handguns to protect themselves from the crazies. I hope it won't be as bad this time around. Gustav, could you PLEASE just spin around in the gulf until you run out of energy so no one else gets hurt? Yeah right. You are welcome here, sistah!

Jenn said...

If yall need a place to stay we have an extra bedroom. It's a full size bed, but it's yours if you want it. I myself am freaking out. You just dont' know what to believe when it comes to these things. There is nothing scarier than trying to buy bread and the shelves are empty or trying to get a couple gallons of water and the shelves are empty. Even poptarts were gone. I haven't even started building my food supply up yet, that's not until Sept 20th when I go to the storehouse. Day late, Dollar short. Oh the best part, being a homeowner. You work so hard to HAVE something and oh how quickly like you said it can be taken away from you.

The Original Mangums said...

It's going to be ok, I just know it will! What I am concerned about is that it will come here to find you and we will have another RITA! But we are ready, plenty of water, non parishable food, lots of parishable food that we can eat FAST, and plenty of love to go around! Your Mom and I went shopping tonight! It will hit somewhere and wherever that is, May God Bless Us Everyone! Love you, See you tomorrow! Love Mom M

TJ-n-Crystal said...

I will keep everyone over there in my prayers. Of everyone I know YOU my dear are the most capable and the got it together. I know you will have "a plan of action". But I know that doesn't keep the butterfly's at bay.

natesarah2@msn.com said...

I've been watching the news about that and I will pray for your little family.

Kathy said...

We love yall & hope this is not another Katrina.