Thursday, May 31, 2007

Tomorrow She's Seven Weeks


Seven weeks…is that how long our sweet little girl has been with us? She’s changed so much since we were wheeled into our recovery room that Friday the Thirteenth morning. Here is a summary of what our little Calyn is like and doing at seven weeks old (Stacy bragged about Ian, so now is my chance to brag a little too…being proud of your children is okay, isn’t it?):

1. She will smile at anyone who will talk to her

2. She takes two naps a day; both are four hour marathon naps

3. She sleeps a solid 9 hours at night (she was sleeping six hours straight at 5 weeks and has since increased to 9)

4. She used to have to be bounced to sleep. I would snuggle her, bounce on the edge of the bed and she would fall asleep. Recently, within the past couple of days, I have just laid her in her crib, and after a little talking to herself, she has drifted off to sleep…with NO bouncing! (thank heavens, my back was starting to ache). So, to sum it up, she is falling asleep on her own (in her crib at least).

5. Okay, this one is not bragging. She hates her car seat. I think she dislikes the confinement of it. Most babies will fall asleep in the car, but not Calyn. If we can manage to get her to sleep in the car, then she’ll pretty much stay asleep. But getting her to that point is WORK. If it’s both of us in the car, either Aaron or I will sit back there with her and hold her pacifier in her mouth and shake the car seat to help her sleep. When I’m by myself, I’m usually grabbing the back of the seat and shaking it up and down to make her sleep. So, if you notice my right arm is more muscular than my left, that’s why. Oh well, if that’s all I can complain about then I’m doing pretty good huh?

6. The little bugger is trying to roll over. She can hike up her leg and twist her bottom half, but doesn’t have the arm strength or coordination to give herself that final shove. (Cal, please don’t become too mobile too soon…I’m not even close to being “baby-proofed”)

7. Her neck muscles are getting stronger each day. She can hold her head up and steady for a good 5-10 seconds before there’s a bobble. Even though I hate E.T., that’s what she reminds me of when she slowly stretches that neck up to look around.

8. She has a motorcycle kick-start leg that can get pretty fast when she’s really excited or about to have a meltdown.

9. She has the most beautiful wide-open eyes that sparkle when she smiles. They are constantly exploring her world and the people in it.

People ask me all the time, “So, how’s she’s doing?” I respond with the above facts about my daughter. Their response usually is, “Just wait until you’re second one.” What’s your thoughts on this spirit-breaking response?

P.S. Today we went to the worst place on Earth...the DMV. Well, a Chinese torture prison is probably worse, but the DMV is a close second. And, for one more brag, Cal was an angel.



4 comments:

Jamie Hamilton said...

I feel your pain with the car seat angst. Al still fusses when I put her in her seat. She always gets the big, teary, puppy dog eyes and sticks out her bottom lip. As soon as I pick her up out of the seat she wraps her arms around my neck and holds on for dear life.

Holly said...

Sounds like she is such a good baby! The car seat part brought back some memories for me. I also have a muscular right arm :) I rocked Kailey to sleep in the car seat many times!

Kathy said...

I am glad that Cal is doing so well. She is such a cutie pie.

Jordan said...

Don't "wait until your second one"!! Who said that?! This is a whole new world and Calyn is the star (obviously). I can't believe she is already sleeping so well. Our three were smilers, too--I thought all babies were that way (not the case, my friend). What a doll. Enjoy every moment, no need to for thoughts of a sibling!!