Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Garden Update

This garden thing is definitely becoming a "learning experience." I've learned what Blight is and how to *try* to control it. I've learned about the importance of bees. I've learned it's best to start your own seeds, and not to buy transplants from Lowe's. I've learned you can't trust "Mel's Mix" entirely. Plant food is a must (or at least some manure or something). Rain water is superior to city water (I've started to collect it:) I've also learned that I HATE caterpillars. I violently destroy them when I find one. I'm sure there will be MANY more things to learn. It'll probably be a few years before I start feeling comfortable with this gardening thing. BUT, despite the road bumps I've hit, I've learned that I LOVE GARDENING.

Yellow cherry tomatoes. These are so good. We've been able to harvest a few of these beauties.

Tons of Roma Tomatoes waiting to ripen.

Sugar snap peas starting to bloom.

Hanging basket of sage and lemon mint

Bell Pepper

Green beans!!

This plant keeps making these beautiful little squashes. Unfortunately we lack bees (aka pollination), therefore they shrivel up and fall to the ground:( Very sad. I've resorted to using a Q-tip and trying to pollinate them myself. My friend, Kate, thinks I'm hilarious for attempting this. I'm the squash fertility doctor around here.

The beginnings of some Mesclun. I had to rip up my first lettuce because something went horribly wrong...the edges got brown and crispy. Jordan??? Any ideas?? I'm thinking the sun just burned it up or something.

I'm pretty good at growing Logans around here, too. Want one?

3 comments:

The Original Mangums said...

Great progress, we have losts to learn when we get home - Want a good garden with lots of fresh veggies = ok yes, I order at least one more Logan, he is so cute! I don't know about the lettuce, am waiting for Jordan's reply.

The Busch's Hullabaloo said...

Sign me up too, I want a Logan! I am proud of you little gardener! Our garden won't look that good until late July, we haven't even put it in yet. Come to think of it, we haven't seen much Spring weather yet, but I am hopeful. Are you going to can any of your garden?

Jordan said...

Those romas are gorgeous! Everything looks so healthy and good. I would even pluck those squash early and eat baby squash if you can get them before they rot.

I had the same "blight" problems on Nursery Ave. It is probably to hot for the mesclun. I just tore out our lettuce because the warmer temps caused it to bolt or send up flowers. Lettuce is finicky.

I'll take a Logan, too! Seth would love a cute little brother.