Monday, November 10, 2008

Editorial

The future scares me. I hate the feeling of the unknown. I'm a planner. I plan, plan, and plan again. I make lists for EVERYTHING so I don't forget a thing. I even plan for when I'm going to get pregnant so it will work out for my convenience (I know I was blessed with this ability). That's why this "change" our country is facing scares the crap out of me. I usually don't use the blog to express my opinions...I like it as a medium for sharing cute pics of Calyn and my daily activities. But, I feel driven to express my two cents worth.

Do we really understand what a great country we live in? There is so much that we, as Americans, take for granted. We have clean, running water. Grocery stores at our fingertips. Public schools. I mean, our "poor" all have cell phones and satellite dishes.

That's why this "share the wealth" mentality really ruffles my feathers. Yes, communism (the law of consecration) in it's perfect, pure form is the ideal. Everyone working together and enjoying the fruits of their labor together. But, we live in an un-perfect world. Here, we have jealousy, greed, and laziness. That's why we are now instructed to consecrate our time and energy to the church and our fellow beings...not our money.

Now, I'm not advocating greediness. I believe in helping those less fortunate. But not by raising our taxes to fund programs that don't work. Generous contributions to the Church's fast offering and humanitarian funds help those who need it. I feel comfortable giving my hard-earned money to people (the Church) who will get the money to where it is really needed. Government assistance is necessary, but it is flawed. For example, Calyn and I are currently using Medicaid for health coverage. But we are using it as a stepping stone to becoming self-sufficient. We are using it while Aaron is in school and we need the help. But in a few short months, we will be tax paying citizens NOT using the government for assistance. This is how it should work. To give people a hand until they can get on their feet and provide for themselves. The way the system is set up now, many people are born on welfare and stay on welfare, expecting the government to take care of them their whole lives (cradle to the grave). And like the church welfare programs, those using the system should be required to give back some work. But no, that's "slavery" to ask people to work. And trust me, the government will take a hundred-fold back from me and Aaron in taxes...much more than we've "used" from them.

That's what's really upsetting about this whole situation. Aaron, and many of our friends and family, have worked so hard to get where they're currently going. It's not fair to take more from us to finance someone sitting on their butts all day. Share the wealth? How about share the work? Everyone has had the same opportunities for success. Both Aaron and I came from humble, modest backgrounds. We grew up in the public school systems, earned high GPAs in high school, and received state-funded tuition scholarships. This is available to anyone who works for it. Now we're asked to hand over our hard earned money to someone who didn't take these opportunities that are available to them. Help the poor by giving to responsible, charitable organizations, and by donating your time and energy to help those around you.

That's my two cents...I feel better getting that out in the open.

P.S. We miss you Aaron. Brent and Robin, take care of my "baby" for me:)

rereytygv (that's Calyn's two cents)

9 comments:

Maren said...

There's a WHOLE lot of people who feel the same way! I could add an entire editorial myself on my concerns about the "hope" we should all be celebrating :)

Jenn said...

Ditto. That is the best I can comment. I just wish Markus and I could have qualified for something, cause 6 years being with him and watching him pay for his schooling out right with no help is certainly a slow process for our future of which I'm sure both you and Aaron can relate to. And to have some historical person with such minimal experience take it away from us, girl don't get me started. Thanks for voicing!

hkobeal said...

Don't be scared, Jeni. :) We have a great country that I hope will only get better. I agree that people need to work, but many people work their tails off and never get ahead. We have a system(the public schools) that gravely disserves huge percentages of our populace, and most of us are content to just look the other way as long as our own children are able to attend decent schools. It's an embarrassment to our fine country. I've never been happier or more proud to be an American than I am right now.

By the way, I love your blog and love getting a little peek at all your goings-on and Calyn's antics. You have a beautiful family.

Jordan said...

I agree with Heather. Don't be scared, Jeni!! Your future is bright. And Calyn will only have the best. I mean, at least you don't have to go through hell--oopes I mean Residency (:

The Original Mangums said...

I'm waiting to see what will happen with this new Pesident. I think that everything will work out. I too have misgivings, but I'm hoping for the best. This is a great country and one man cannot make all those changes by himself. We will wait and see, and write our congressman - a lot!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Whoa, baby! Love the passion, Jeni. I'm not too concerned. I read an article that said Obama's website was under construction. His entire plan was erased, and now a very general statement took it's place. He will have a lot of resistance with every "change" he tries to make.

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

Your "baby" is doing well. We are going to do our best to feed him well while he is here. I don't think my cooking will compare to yours, but I sure keep trying. Love you guys!

Robin

Becky T said...

Jeni, wow! I enjoyed reading this because I could not have said it better myself. So, to avoid leaving a novel as a comment, just know that I appreciated every last word of what you said because I feel so much the same way. Living here in good ol' NOLA has given me an even harder look at how the welfare system is failing us and how frustrating it is to be supporting all these people who never have to work. I totally think the government could take a lot of lessons from the way the church runs its welfare program. Well said, Jeni. Well said!

Holly said...

I have had these same thoughts, but was too much of a chicken to put it on my blog :)

After working in public schools for a few years, it is easy to see the severe need for reform. After hearing about our new president's record and plans I am afraid that he might be taking us in the opposite direction. I'm counting on the set up of our government to keep him from single handedly doing too much damage. Time will tell.